Monday, December 21, 2015

Review: Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell






Here is my current read.  I think reading books like this is what causes me to feel such stress when I think about the business of books.  This is my second time through this particular book.  I have, in the second reading, learned a great deal more.  The LOCK system for example did not really stick the on my first time through.  The first time I  read it was a bit overwhelming.  I think at one point I threw it in the air and said, "I have no idea what I am doing."  That was about a year ago.  

This time as I read the book,  I realize that sense of stress I had was because I was trying to FIT all the ideas into my writing style.  BIG mistake. It is important to remember that the ideas are presented and some will resonate with some authors and some will not. What is important to remember is each chapter shares many exercises that if used will deepen your skills in both plot and structure. I have implemented several of the techniques because of the exercises that I completed.  (I must admit I did not do the exercises the first time around; and that was a mistake.)

This particular writer is probably one of my favorites on the craft of writing.  I love that Mr. Bell does give so many ideas and examples that he acknowledges that writing can be taught and that he has practical ideas to spur on creativity. I have also learned to read like a writer and write like a reader because of some of his books.  Clearly he understands the way to craft a novel.  I love his sense of humor as well.   

This is a staple book for any writer, at any level. I would suggest, as does he, that one would read it multiple times. I am finding especially with craft books that the more you read them the deeper your knowledge develops.  I am hoping that a few of my other books on writing will prove to be as helpful and a deep well that I can continue to return for more and more inspiration.

If you have any thought or comments, please add them below.

This book gets : 4.5/5

   

No comments:

Post a Comment