Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Re-reading books: Visiting our old friends.

Find it here 
I admit it, I am a re-reader!  There I said it.  I love to read a book for a second or even third time (yes if it is a fabulous story I will even venture into the story for a fifth or even sixth time.)  I was asked, why would you read the same book another time when there are so many other great books to read. That got me thinking... Why do I re-read a book?

A few days ago I was chatting with my mom (Hi mom!) about what else.. BOOKS.. and she asked me if I remembered what book I read all the time when I was a teenager.  Now many of my friends were busy reading things like Sweet Valley High or Flowers in the Attic, while I read those books, they did not draw me in like Marion Zimmer Bradley's  The Mist of Avalon. This book opened my eyes to the beauty of a wonderfully woven tale.

I went back years later and discovered one of Bradley's gifts is in crafting beautiful scenes, with concrete detail.  A true artist with her words I was hooked on the images I was able to create in a world that I had never before seen.  It was this book that opened my eyes to venture out into other fantasy books.


About the the third of fourth reading of The Mists of Avalon I went on a trip.  I don't remember where but like all book worms I decided to grab a new book.  I went to the book store (yes people purchased book in places like this and they were not directly delivered to your doorstep-- weird right?)  and decided, to try a new author (new to me anyway), his name, Piers Anthony.  I picked up Ogre Ogre unaware that is out of order (it is the fifth book in the trilogy (ha-ha Xanth readers you know what I mean).
I was HOOKED.  I remember I devoured that book.  I could not put it down, the puns the vivid imagery.  It was fabulous, and when I flipped to the front cover I discovered joy!  He had more!  Before I headed back home I stopped in at the book store and blew every penny I had on all the books I could get in the series.  I plowed through them and waited for the next hard bound edition of his continuing tale to be published.  I even wrote him once and told him I wanted to be a writer just like him.  I remember how sad I was when I finished one of his books.  I just sat there in recovery knowing the story had to wait for several months to continue.
   

 I again began re-reading--(why it took so long I do not know-- a little to excited to get to the next that I missed the chance to return to the world of Xanth through stories I already knew.)  
When I began reading the Xanth novels for a second time I realized something. I missed great details that helped clear up some questions that were unanswered for me.  It was this re-read that taught me to not be in such a hurry when I read, to linger and enjoy the story.

I suppose why I am sharing all this is because I wanted to answer the question for myself.  Here is what I have learned from the long list of re-read books (and of course Harry Potter is among that list.)  I think re-reading books has a lot to do with memorable characters.  

I missed my friends in Xanth -- and I longed to revisit the strong women that dared to be powerful in the Mist of Avalon.  They held a piece of me with them, a desire for adventure and self reliance.  I longed to be brave and strong.  The characters allowed me to be all these things and more. To discover the young woman I was becoming.  I was never really into romance novels-- though I have read some that are stunning and very engaging.  It's not that I don't like them, but the romantic thing just isnt' me.  I am more the adventurer at heart.  I think as we watch our children grow if we pay attention to the books they long to read, we will get a glimpse into their very hearts.  I know that my best friends were always among the pages of a book.

Read along with me.
Find it here
Recently I have been searching for a new book to read. Stalled on a few starts -- so I think I am returning to my old friends.  It has been TWENTY years since I have read the Xanth novels... but it is time to go back-- and see my friends again.

So let the reading begin-- at the beginning...

Tell me about your favorite book as a kid.  I am interested, maybe I can pick it up and enjoy it too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment