Thursday, January 23, 2014

Baffled...

Baffled and Other Stories
By: Gary Lawrence
My online professor this semester is the person that introduced me to the mantra I have adopted.


  "Write like a reader. Read like a writer." -- Gary Lawrence


   I was so impressed with this simple mantra that I pasted it to my computer to remind me to do just those things.
    After a few days of mulling it over, I decided I really wanted to meet him face to face.  I sent an email requesting a meeting. I also learned looking over his blog that he has a book published as well.  I asked if he would sell me a copy of his book, and when we met if I could pick it up.  He of course obliged and was kind enough to even sign it!


Baffled and Other Stories
 By: Gary Lawrence


I believe one can learn a lot from meeting a writer, but even more from reading his or her work.  My motive was to learn more about my professor through his writing and thus far I have been pleasantly rewarded with well-written interesting material. While I have just begun the adventure that is "Baffled and Other Stories" I can say the first of the collection is very entertaining.


I am excited to be able to give a full review of the stories.  For now I can tell you about Baffled the opening story in his book:
The stories I have completed are very well written and engaging.  I have seen the world he is creating and that is vital to a good story !  The details are clear and inviting. I love his right to the action approach. The story I first read was Baffled, it transported me to a scene that left me wondering what would I have done in that situation, very intriguing and I too would have been baffled if I were the main character or his love interest on how I would have handled the end.  What I love about Mr. Lawrence's writing is that I felt like I was there, I felt my blood pressure elevate I wanted to stand up and scream at the man before me in the scene.  That makes for good reading!


Additionally one of his stories Trinity - You Just Had To Do It (1963) that is part of this collection was also picked up for publication by Four Chambers: The Heart of Literature in Phoenix, Arizona.  I did of course read this story as well and found it to be enchanting. Again very well written and I truly felt a connection to the story.
I will have more on this collection as I get more read.  I do still have to do my assignments for my classes and work - I am however squeezing in as much time as I can on this great collection!

You can purchase his book right HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment